Sounds are a basic form of communication between animals for both social and survival purposes. They provide animals with information about their environment, which can help them to adapt. Here we will explore the sounds made by different animals with names and the words that describe those sounds.
Squeaks, Chirps and, Whistles
Birds make chirping sounds to attract mates or for social reasons. The males make whistles of many species to attract females. Squeaks are made by some mammals, including mice and rats. These squeaks may be used as a form of communication with other animals, for example, to warn them about predators.
Animal sounds List with Pictures
Listen the Sounds of Animals and Birds in this Video
A to Z Animal Sounds with their Names List
|Cat||caterwaul, meow, purr|
|Crane||roar, growl, bellow, bray|
|Duck||Honk, cackle, clang|
|Fish||blub, glug, swish|
|Fox||bark, yap, yelp|
|Guinea Pig||squeak, wheek|
|Hornet||hum, buzz, murmur|
|Hyena||scream, bellow, wail|
|Kangaroo||chatter, grunt, cluck,|
|Pig||grunt, squeal, snort|
|Porcupine||mumble, grunt, snuff|
|Possum||growl, click, hiss|
|Woodpecker||Click, laugh, yap|
Fun Facts about Sounds of Animals
- Birds are the only group of animals that make sounds with their tongues. They use these sounds to communicate with other birds, for example when warning them about predators or attracting mates.
- The loud noises that bats make have a similar frequency to the sounds made by dolphins.
- Mammals produce sounds with their throats, teeth and skin.
- The bellowing call of elephants is one of the loudest animal calls in the world.
- Some animals produce sounds by rubbing together parts of their bodies, such as the roughness on a cat’s tongue or the spines on a porcupine’s quills.
- Insects produce noises by stridulation, a process that involves vibrations of parts of their bodies against each other.
A lot of animals are silent, but some are noisy. The sounds animals make can be categorized into two main types, calls and songs. Calls are the sounds made by animals to communicate with each other or warn others about the danger. For example, a mother calls her cubs when she is at risk of being attacked by a predator. Songs are the sounds that animals make to attract mates.